Whole Roast Chicken with Bacon, Craisin & Macadamia Stuffing
Mt Barker Whole Roast Chicken with Bacon, Craisin & Macadamia Stuffing
This recipe is a Christmas showstopper. Not only is it simple but it’ll fill your home with mouthwatering aromas as it roasts. Serve with roasted veggies or creamy mashed potatoes, and drizzle with gravy for a delicious festive feast.
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 large Mt Barker whole chicken (2kg+)
- Olive oil (helps to get a really juicy, crispy skin)
- Mixed herbs
- Salt & Pepper
- For the Stuffing
- 50g macadamia nuts
- 1/2 brown onion
- 2 slices of your favourite bread
- 50g Craisins
- 50g diced bacon
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Juice of a lemon
- Heat oven to 160°C.
- Finely chop the onion and macadamias in a food processor then place into a medium sized bowl.
- Blend the bread and Craisins in the food processor and add to onion and nut mix.
- Add bacon, egg, herbs, garlic, and lemon juice to the mix and combine all the ingredients to complete your stuffing.
- Rinse your Mt Barker whole chicken under cold water, pat dry with a paper towel, then place in a roasting dish, ensuring that the breast is facing upwards.
- Separate the skin from the chicken’s breast at the neck end (being careful not to tear the skin). Push about a third of the stuffing under the skin.
- Place the butter with the stuffing under the skin and press gently to seal the skin down.
- Stuff the remaining cavity space.
- Rub olive oil over the chicken skin, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with dried herbs.
- Cover the dish in foil and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for another hour, basting the chicken with pan juices halfway through and again at the end of cooking. (Note: you may need to cover just the breast area with a piece of foil to prevent over-browning).
- Turn up the oven to 200°C and cook for another 20-30 minutes. Test that the juices run clear when the thickest part of the leg is pierced with a skewer.
- Remove the chicken from the roasting dish, put on a plate and cover loosely with foil. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before carving.