Manu’s Fillet Steak with Potato Gratin and Peppercorn SaucePublished 01 May, 2020
Try Manu’s classic peppercorn sauce, made with both black and green peppercorns. Prepared with onions, brandy and white wine, before veal and beef glace and cream are added and reduced.
Serves: 2 as a main
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 40 minutes
2 x 250g beef fillets, remove from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking
30ml vegetable oil
150g packet The Sauce by Manu, Peppercorn Sauce
500ml pouring cream
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
1kg brushed potatoes (such as Sebago) or desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into 3 mm thick rounds
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
20g unsalted butter
- For the gratin, preheat an oven to 200˚ Grease a 1.5 litre capacity baking dish with butter.
- Combine the cream, garlic, thyme and potato in a large heavy based saucepan, season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring gently to prevent the potato from sticking to the base of the pan.
- Transfer potato and cream mixture to the baking dish, spreading it into an even layer. Cover with foil and bake for 1 ½ hours or until potato is tender. Remove foil and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the top of the potato is golden brown and all the cream is absorbed. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Place a large oven proof frying pan over a high heat, add oil and butter and when the butter is foaming add steaks and cook for 2-3 minutes or until you obtain a brown crust. Turnover and place the frying pan in the oven to cook for 3 minutes for medium rare or leave until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to rest for 5 minutes.
- To serve, prepare The Sauce by Manu, Peppercorn Sauce according to packet directions. Return the rested beef to the frying pan and pop in the oven for a minute or 2 to come back up to temperature. Baste with some of the cooking juices and place on warm serving plates, with spoonful’s of potato gratin to one side and finish with a generous drizzle of sauce.
Manu’s sauce range is available at Woolworths stores in NSW, VIC & QLD.