Cauliflower Le Gruyère AOP Gratin with Crispy Bread Crumbs
It goes without saying cheesy cauliflower is a classic and this Gratin recipe from Sammy Jakubiak is a twist on a good Ol’ classic! Perfectly cooked florets of Cauliflower covered in silky Le Gruyère AOP bechamel topped with crispy sage bread crumbs is the ultimate side for any dinner party or main – we won’t judge 😉
½ large head of cauliflower
Le Gruyère AOP Bechamel:
2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
80g grated Le Gruyère AOP, plus extra for topping
Pinch of Nutmeg, freshly grated
1 tsp Dijon
Salt and pepper
Crispy Sage Bread Crumbs:
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 tbs butter
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 tbs sage leaves, picked, chopped
Salt and pepper
- Blanch cauliflower in boiling salted water. Remove and allow to steam cool off. Then chop into large chunks that fit into your Harris Scarfe enamel bakeware.
- Make bechamel by first melting your butter and flour. Whisk while cooking till it becomes foamy light brown. Slowly add in your milk while whisking. Once the milk is added and the mixture is smooth, bring to a simmer and add in your dijon mustard, salt and pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg. Whisk continuously till nice and smooth. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add in the grated Le Gruyère AOP cheese and whisk till melted and combined. Pour over cauliflower covering every surface and then add an extra grating of Le Gruyère AOP on top. Bake at 180c for 15 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbly.
- To make the crispy breadcrumbs, toss the olive oil and butter into a hot pan, add in the fresh bread crumbs and toss constantly to coat and toast. Halfway into toasting add in the chopped sage leaves and season with salt and pepper. Keep toasting until very crispy and golden.
- Remove gratin from over and top with crumbs and serve immediately.
Serves 4 as a side
Time: 35 mins
Watch Sammy make this delicious dish here