- 700g chicken thighs or chicken pieces, skin on and bone in.
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced, green ends reserved (or 1 tablespoon bought minced lemongrass).
- 2 cloves garlic, minced.
- 3cm knob of fresh ginger, minced (or 1 tablespoon bought minced ginger).
- 2 tbsn fish sauce.
- 1/3 cup yellow curry powder or Massaman curry paste.
- 1 cup chicken stock.
- 2 medium sweet potato cut into 2.5cm chunks.
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2.5cm chunks.
- 400ml coconut milk.
- 1/2 tspn granulated stevia, optional.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 2 tbsn arrowroot, cornflour or chia bran.
- 2 green shallots, chopped.
- Roti mountain bread, papadams or baguette to serve.
Place the chicken, minced lemongrass, garlic, ginger, fish sauce and half the curry powder or paste in a bowl (it’s best to use the ceramic insert from your electric slow cooker) and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to marinate (You could even leave it overnight).
Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker (if you’ve marinated the chicken in the insert, simply replace the insert). Mix the rest of the curry powder or paste with a little stock, and add to the slow cooker along with the vegetables, the rest of the stock, the coconut milk, stevia, lemongrass ends and bay leaves. Stir to combine and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
If you like a thicker curry, 20 minutes before serving, remove 1/4 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker and whisk in the arrowroot, cornflour or chia bran, then pour back into the curry and stir through. Place the lid , turn the slow cooker to high and cook for another 20 minutes.
Garnish with shallots and serve with roti, mountain bread, papadams or baguette.