Poh’s Créme Fraîche Vanilla Ice Cream with Aged Balsamic & Strawberries
Summer calls for ice cream and Poh’s twist on the classic ‘strawberries and cream’ combo is one you need to try. With bold flavours of balsamic, berries, and vanilla, Poh’s Crème Fraîche Ice Cream with Aged Balsamic Strawberries is a dish that will impress guests and one the whole family will love. Best of all it involves only eight simple ingredients you probably have at home so you can make this one right now!
Cooking time 10 mins plus overnight chilling time.
- 150ml créme fraîche or sour cream
- 250ml milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 70g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 punnet strawberries, sliced
- 4 tsp aged balsamic vinegar
- About 10 basil leaves
- For the ice cream. Combine the créme fraîche (or sour cream) and milk in a heatproof bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes on the highest setting.
- Meanwhile, whisk the yolks, sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl until combined.
- Add the yolk and sugar mixture to the hot cream and milk mixture and whisk well. Microwave this for another 2 minutes and then whisk very well. After this point, you’ll need to microwave for 40 – 60 seconds further.
- When the custard is cooked, it should coat the back of a wooden spoon with ease. To test this, hold the spoon horizontally and draw a line through the middle of the custard – it should not drip and merge again easily and if it does, it needs a little more cooking.
- If the custard splits or curdles, immediately pour it into a blender or stick blend it until it re-emulsifies.
- Cool the custard mixture completely – preferably overnight.
- Pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream machine, and churn using machine instructions.
- Serve a large scoop of ice cream per person and divide the strawberries, then drizzle each with 1 teaspoon of aged balsamic. Garnish with a few torn basil leaves, serve immediately and enjoy!