ALASTAIR’S GRILLED HANGER STEAK WITH CHIMICHURRI
We’re back in the Harris Scarfe kitchen, this week turning up the heat with Alastair McLeod as he shows you how to perfectly grill a Hanger Steak with Chimichurri and Eggplant Yoghurt!
Preparation and cooking time 30 minutes for the steak; 1 hour for the eggplant yoghurt (includes cooling time)
- 1 bunch coriander, washed + additional to garnish
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, washed + additional to garnish
- ½ bunch shallots, trimmed
- 1½ lemons, zest and juice
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil + additional for drizzling
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- Sea salt and freshly milled pepper
- 600g hanger steak, trimmed
- 1 small eggplant
- 100g Greek yoghurt
- generous pinch sumac
- Lemon juice
- Sea salt
METHOD – THE STEAK
- Separate herbs and strew on preheated BBQ with green shallots. Turn frequently until they are all wilted and charred.
- Remove and allow to cool then coarsely chop and combine with lemon zest, juice, mustard, olive oil and onion and season to taste. Refrigerate until required.
- Make sure BBQ is hot then drizzle steak with oil, season and cook for 4 minutes turning frequently. Set on a cake rack and cover with foil for 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow the flavours to infuse.
METHOD – THE EGGPLANT YOGHURT
- Grill the eggplant on BBQ, turning frequently, until blackened and wilted.
- Cool completely then remove most but not all of the skin.
- Blend with yoghurt and sumac. Season to taste with lemon and salt
- To serve, spread dressing onto plates, carve steak and arrange on top and finish with eggplant yoghurt and scatter with reserved herbs.
DOWNLOAD THIS RECIPE AS A PDF CLICK HERE