Rocky Road with a Peruvian Twist
Rocky Road a classic treat we all know – but what better time to make than post Christmas (or Easter) when you have lots of different chocolate and lollies left over! This recipe has the brilliant addition of fine Peruvian cacao nibs that help add a chocolate richness and dial down the sweetness from the lollies – for an even more grown up treat.
300g Peruvian dark chocolate*
100g Peanuts (or other nuts of your choice)
80g Desiccated coconut
70g Gummy lollies
50g Mini marshmallows
20g Peruvian cacao nibs
*Any good quality dark chocolate will work also.
2 x baking trays lined with baking paper
1 x container, lined with baking paper
1 x spatula
1 x medium/ large heat proof bowl
1 x another bowl
1. Preheat oven to 140C.
2. On one tray spread out the coconut, on the other spread out the nuts. Toast in the oven for 5-10 minutes (until lightly golden); the coconut will take less time than the nuts. Cool both the coconut and nuts completely before melting the chocolate.
4. Break or cut the chocolate into small pieces into the heat proof bowl.
5. Weigh out / measure the remaining ingredients into a separate bowl.
6. Melt the chocolate gently in the heat proof bowl, until only just melted, either in a microwave using 10-20 seconds bursts, stirring in between, or over a double boiler / bain marie stirring constantly. Ideally the chocolate will be under 32C.
7. Pour all the other ingredients into the chocolate and stir well until all the ingredients are well covered in chocolate and evenly distributed.
8. Pour the rocky road mix into the prepared container.
9. (Optional) Decorate the rocky road with your preferred decoration eg freeze dried fruits or Peruvian cacao nibs
10. Place in the fridge to cool for 10-20 minutes, until completely set.
11. Remove from the fridge and carefully cut into large squares.
TIP: a knife run under hot water then dried will make cutting through the chocolate easier.
Recipe created and provided by Treat Dreams
For more information on Peruvian cacao please see the Trade Commission of Peru website here.