Maggie Beer’s Anzac Biscuits
Round up the plain flour, rolled oats, shredded coconut, brown sugar, butter, golden syrup, bi-carb, and verjuice (if you have it) and try your hand at this delicious Anzac biscuit recipe, courtesy of our very own Maggie Beer.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 125g butter melted
- 2 tbspn golden syrup
- 2 tbspn Verjuice
- 1/2 tspn bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 160C
- Mix the flour, rolled oats, coconut and brown sugar in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter with golden syrup and Verjuice. Once butter has melted bring the mixture to a simmer before adding the bicarb soda. Stir to completely dissolve.
- Add the hot butter and sugar mix to the dry ingredients and fold through.
- Roll mixture into even sized balls and place onto a lined baking tray, leaving 2-3cm between each biscuit. Using your fingers, squash to flatten slightly.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for a softer biscuits 10 mins or for a crunchy biscuit 16 minutes. Cooking time may vary slightly depending on the oven and tray used.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.