To celebrate Chinese new year we’re making chef and restaurateur, Luke Nguygen’s X.O Chilli Sauce! What is XO sauce you might ask? This tasty seafood sauce is more than just a ‘chilli sauce’ with it’s list of luxury ingredients including dried scallops, squid and shrimp it sure packs a punch! XO sauce works great with seafood, meat even tofu and served atop of rice or noodles. If you haven’t tried this classic Chinese condiment you’ve been missing out! Luckily, we’ve got you covered with Luke’s delicious recipe below!
100 g peeled garlic
100 g fried shallots
500 ml vegetable oil
25 g fresh birds eye chilli
50 ml chilli oil
1 tablespoon dried chilli flakes
250 ml oyster sauce
50 g dried squid
50 g dried anchovy
50 g dried shrimp
50 g dried scallops (soaked in water overnight & drained)
40 g sugar
1. Grill the dried squid until crisp. Scrape off any charred part with a sharp knife.
2. In a food processor, blitz the squid, anchovy, scallops, shrimp, chilli and garlic.
3. Now heat the oil in large pot and brown the garlic, add the dried minced seafood’s, oyster sauce and sugar.
4. Cook and on heat low for an hour stirring every 10 minutes.
5. To finish add birds eye chilli, chilli oil, chilli flakes, fried shallots and stir again
Store your X.O Chilli Sauce in sterilised jars and it will keep in the fridge for up to six months.