Salted Caramel Yule Log by Kirsten Tibballs
A sweet creation perfectly harmonised with Maldon Sea Salt. Salted caramel chocolate cream and crunchy roasted hazelnuts rolled in an airy chocolate sponge, then finished with rich, dark chocolate shards and gold sea salt.
vegetable oil spray
3 whole eggs
90 g caster sugar
55 g plain flour
30 g dutch processed cocoa powder
pinch Maldon Sea Salt
caster sugar, for sprinkling
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cream
1 ½ gelatine sheets
200 g fresh cream 35% fat (A)
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp Maldon Sea Salt
100 g caster sugar
145 g good-quality milk chocolate
290 g fresh cream 35% fat (B)
300 g good-quality dark chocolate
100 g roasted hazelnuts, chopped
½ tsp Maldon Sea Salt
gold lustre dust
- Spray a 240mm x 370mm baking tray with vegetable oil and line the base and sides with baking paper. Set aside until required.
- Heat the oven to 190°C, fan forced.
- Place the eggs, in the shells, in a bowl of warm water to bring to body temperature.
- Whip the eggs and sugar until light and creamy.
- Sieve the dry ingredients onto a sheet of baking paper and add the Maldon Sea Salt.
- Gradually add the sieved ingredients, gently folding through after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and gently spread into an even layer.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 7-8 minutes, until the sponge bounces back when gently pressed.
- Slightly dampen a clean tea towel, lay it out flat onto your work bench and sprinkle it with sugar.
- While the sponge is still hot, flip it onto the sugar-coated tea towel and gently remove the baking paper.
- Fold the end of the tea towel over the sponge and roll into a tight roll. Set aside to cool.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cream
- Soak the gelatine in ice cold water, then gently squeeze to remove any excess water.
- Heat the cream (A), vanilla and Maldon Sea Salt in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat just before it begins to boil.
- Heat the sugar in a medium saucepan over low-medium heat, until completely dissolved and caramelised.
- Remove from the heat and carefully adding the hot cream, a small amount at a time, while mixing.
- Add the pre-soaked gelatine.
- Pour the caramel over the milk chocolate and whisk to combine.
- Lastly, add the cream (B).
- Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface and chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours.
- Cut 2 sheets of baking paper to 200mm x 350mm in size.
- Temper the dark chocolate by placing it in a microwave-safe plastic bowl. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring in-between. Once you have 50% solids and 50% liquid, stir vigorously until the solids have completely melted.
- Spread a thin layer of the tempered chocolate over one sheet of baking paper and roll it into a tube, approximately 20mm in diameter.
- Place into the refrigerator for 5 minutes before unrolling the baking paper to create the chocolate bark pieces.
- Repeat with the remaining chocolate and second sheet of baking paper.
- Gently unroll the chocolate sponge and place onto a sheet of baking paper.
- Spread two thirds of the salted caramel chocolate cream over the sponge, leaving a 10mm edge at the end that you will be rolling towards.
- Sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts over the cream.
- Use the baking paper to lift the sponge as you roll it as tight as possible into a log.
- Place into the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the Maldon Sea Salt and a small amount of gold lustre dust to create gold salt flakes.
- Use a serrated knife to trim the ends of the yule log, then place onto a serving plate.
- Cover with the remaining salted caramel chocolate cream.
- Decorate with the prepared chocolate bark and a sprinkling of gold sea salt.