Brendan Pang’s Fried Prawn WontonsPublished 25 Oct, 2021
Brendan Pang’s Fried Prawn Wontons with Sweet & Sour Sauce
From restaurant owner to Masterchef, Brendan Pang has mastered the art of making dumplings and you can too thanks to his latest cook book!
Makes 20 – 24 wontons
- 24 wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil, to fry
For the Filling
- 300g raw prawn meat, diced
- 30ml tamari
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 5ml sesame oil
- 5ml shaoxing cooking wine
For the Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 – 2 red birds eye chilling, finely chopped
- 1 medium clove of garlic, finely grated
- To make the filling, place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix vigorously in one direction until the mixture binds. Cover and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Working with one dumpling wrapper at a time, place 1 heaped teaspoon of filling in the centre of a wrapper. Brush half of the edges of the square with water. Fold the wet edges over (in half) to make a rectangular shape and enclose the filling. Brush one of the corners with water and fold inward to overlap with the other corner. Press to seal.
- Cover loosely with a damp tea towel and repeat process to form remaining dumplings.
- When ready to cook the wontons, fill wok with vegetable oil to about two thirds of the way up. Heat to 180C and test by dipping a wooden chopstick into the oil: the chopstick will sizzle when the oil is ready. Gently lowering wontons in batches into the oil and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels and serve immediately with chilli and garlic dipping sauce.
- To make the chilli and garlic dipping sauce, place all ingredients into a small bowl and stir until sugar has dissolved and mixture is well combined. Cover and set aside refrigerated until required. Serve alongside the finished wontons.
For more tips and tricks on the art of making dumplings order you copy of Brenan Pang’s book ‘This is a Book About Dumplings’ today